Politics

Amnesty International: Israel committed war crimes in southern Lebanon and the extermination of entire families

9 July 20265 min read

Amnesty International: Israel committed war crimes in southern Lebanon and the extermination of entire families
Rome prepares for new round of Lebanese-Israeli negotiations

Amnesty International has called for an urgent international investigation into three Israeli military airstrikes on southern Lebanon in March  , which the organization has classified as documented war crimes.

The attacks  , which targeted civilian homes in the cities of Tyre, Nabatieh and the town of Arkai near Sidon between March 6 and 13, killed twenty-four civilians, including twelve children, killing entire families,  Human Rights Watch said in its human rights report released on Thursday.

The report was based on on-site interviews conducted by the organization with fifteen survivors, relatives of victims and paramedics, confirming that there are reasonable grounds to prove that Israeli forces are violating international humanitarian law and failing to distinguish between civilians and military objectives.

 

Behind the scenes of Rome

On the diplomatic track, the Italian capital Rome is preparing to host the next round of Lebanese-Israeli negotiations on July 15 and 16, following Washington's decision to move the meetings to Italy.

Lebanese sources said that despite the initial reservations of the Lebanese presidential circles for fear of reducing US sponsorship, Beirut agreed to the move after assurances that the meetings would be held inside the US embassy to ensure direct supervision.

The sources indicated that the Rome tour will witness a significant transformation by limiting it to a purely political nature and the absence of military representation, as the Lebanese delegation will be headed by Ambassador Simon Karam with the participation of Ambassador Nada Mouawad, with the aim of consolidating the practical measures of the framework agreement and the Israeli withdrawal from two experimental areas that were previously agreed upon.

 

Division and axes

Internally, the file reflects an explosion in political balances, as it emerges full harmony and coordination at the highest levels between President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam in managing the negotiations, in contrast to a severe apathy and direct boycott with the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Nabih Berri, who believes that the path of the framework agreement is not in line with his approach.

This internal rift coincides with a complete cooling in the channels of communication between Baabda and Hezbollah, which is working to restore its readiness on the ground, amid international anticipation for the extraordinary visit that President Aoun will make to Washington on July 21  , which was arranged by the US ambassador to Lebanon, Michel Issa, to discuss ceasefire guarantees and support for official institutions.

 

Doha Message

In an official attempt to separate the Lebanese file from regional conflicts, Lebanese diplomatic sources revealed  a secret visit by  the Lebanese president's advisor, Jean Aziz, to the Qatari capital, Doha, carrying a political message confirming Beirut's desire not to join the US-Iranian joint committee formed in Switzerland to follow up on the ceasefire, and to adhere to the direct Lebanese-Israeli track under the auspices of Washington.

This desire collides with readings from concerned capitals that see it difficult to isolate Lebanon due to the strategic and military link between Tehran and Hezbollah, making the future of security arrangements in the south tied to the broader U.S.-Iranian equation.

Tags:Lebanon

Comments (0)

0 / 600
No comments yet. Be the first to comment.