Politics

Former British minister threatens to topple Starmer within days

17 June 20265 min read

Former British minister threatens to topple Starmer within days
The resignation of the Minister of Defense sparks an open confrontation between the army and the government

Former British health secretary Wes Streeting made scathing remarks during an interview with the BBC's Newsnight programme, giving a direct warning to Prime Minister and Labour leader Keir Starmer that he must make a decision on his political future over the weekend, in a move that reflects the height of a leadership crisis hitting the ruling party.

"I think the prime minister should be given some space and time to think over the weekend, andthen we'll have to see where we stand," Streeting said.

Strating noted that he already has the support of 81 Labour MPs, the number needed to contest for the party's leadership, and said he believed that competition should start sooner rather than later.

"I'd rather the prime minister make a decision on his own terms, rather than leave it to me, Andy or anyone else to launch a race for leadership. We cannot continue in this state of uncertainty and paralysis."

Labour is waiting to see if Manchester Greater  Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham can win the local election in Macrofield on Thursday to return to Parliament, as he will become the front-runner in any contest for Starmer.

 

Starmer reaffirms his commitment to his position

In his first direct response, Starmer from France, where he is attending the G7 summit, reiterated  his commitment to the leadership of the Labour Party, declaring that he was ready to fight a battle for survival in the face of internal pressures and that any change of leadership now would harm the stability of the country.

"If there is a challenge, I am ready to fight and defend my leadership," Starmer told the BBC, arguing that launching a race for power at this time would be "a very bad move for the country and its stability."

According to British sources, this response sets the stage for a possible public confrontation, which could see the launch of an official leadership race or the awaition of decisive by-election results

 

British defence secretary resigns

In a fresh blow to Keir Starmer's power within the Labour Party, British Defence Secretary John Healy resigned last week, in a move described as a crucial turning point in the escalating crisis within the government. 

 In her resignation, Haley sharply criticised Starmer's record on allocating funds to increase defence spending, stressing his refusal to continue what he saw as a "disruption" of the plan to raise military spending to 3% of GDP — a plan he had been pushing for months as the financial dispute was at the  heart of the clash between the two men and one of the immediate reasons for the resignation.

According to sources within the Labour Party, Haley's resignation was a "domino effect" that encouraged other officials, including former health secretary Wes Streeting, to take public positions demanding that Starmer step down and open the door to a new leadership race.

 

The Future of Defense Finance Creates a Confrontation Between Military and Government Leaders

The resignation of the defence secretary sent an immediate shock within the military and opened an unusual public confrontation between military and government leaders over the future of defence funding, in a development that deepens the political crisis facing Prime Minister Keir Starmer.

According to official testimony before the House of Lords' Committee on International Relations and Defence, the acting chief of the defence staff, General Sir Richard Knighton, backed Haley's warnings, stressing that the armed forces would be forced to scale back or postpone their training and operational activities unless the daily funding budget was urgently raised.

 Military data revealed a huge funding gap, with the government's latest financial offer – around £10bn over four years – £18bn less than the minimum requested by the General Staff to secure basic defence needs.

  The resignation froze the Defence Investment Plan (DIP), which was to be formally announced, which is now under a comprehensive review under new Defence Secretary Dan Jarvis, and   cast a shadow over strategic armament projects, with international partners including Japan and Italy expressing concern about Britain's ability to commit to funding the 2035 Sixth Generation Fighter Project (GCAP), following a freeze on some British development contracts.

Tags:Britain

Comments (0)

0 / 600
No comments yet. Be the first to comment.