Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) announced a joint military operation using missiles and drones that targeted "critical infrastructure and facilities" at a number of US bases in Kuwait and Bahrain.
In a statement at dawn on Thursday (July 9th), the IRGC said the strikes targeted the Arifjan and Ali al-Salem bases in Kuwait, as well as the Juffair and Sheikh Isa bases in Bahrain, noting that the operation came in response to what it said were "US attacks" on areas in Iran's southern coastal provinces.
The statement stressed that the Iranian response "will not stop there," threatening to expand the scope of operations to include other US bases in the region in the event of repeated attacks, stressing that Tehran "will not leave any attacks by the US military unanswered".
Trump backtracks: Our strikes on Iran are "just retaliation"
US President Donald Trump said late on Wednesday evening, in remarks published by US media, that the country had carried out "decisive" strikes against Iranian targets, stressing that these strikes were "just a retaliation" to them.
Trump added that he had received "a call from Iran that is desperately seeking a settlement," but questioned Tehran's seriousness, saying he did not trust it would "abide by any future agreement."Washington' s goal "is not war, but the complete denuclearization of Iran," he said, adding that preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon "must have the support of all."
The US president noted that he was "number one on the list of targets by Iran", stressing that Tehran targeted 3 US boats, not 2, and that any new attack "will be met with a much stronger response".
In an escalatory tone, Trump said the U.S. had "dealt a very harsh blow to Iran" and that the U.S. response would be "20 times over" every time U.S. forces were attacked, adding that the latest strike was "in response to the bombing of ships," warning that repeating attacks would make "the situation much worse."
Guterres sends message to Iran, US
UN Secretary-General António Guterres called on both Iran and the United States to "urgently resume negotiations and address outstanding issues through diplomatic channels," explaining that the United Nations "remains committed to supporting all efforts aimed at preventing a return to conflict, restoring stability, and reaching a comprehensive and sustainable solution to this conflict."
In a statement read out by his spokesman, Stephane Dujarric, at dawn on Thursday (July 9th), the Secretary-General expressed concern over the renewed military confrontations in the Gulf region, warning that a return to large-scale hostilities would have catastrophic consequences for the peoples of the region, for international peace and security, and for the global economy.
Guterres called on all parties to "exercise maximum restraint, avoid further escalation measures, and take immediate steps to de-escalate tensions, while reaffirming the commitment of all parties to fully comply with international law, including the protection of civilians and civilian infrastructure, and respect for the rights and freedoms of navigation."
Iranian army announces 8 of its soldiers killed in US strikes
Iran's military said on Wednesday that eight of its members had been killed in recent U.S. strikes on the country's south.
"Following the criminal aggression carried out this morning by the US terrorist army on areas in southern Iran, eight brave members of the Islamic Republic of Iran's air and naval forces were martyred in Bandar Abbas and Bushehr," the army said in a statement carried out by state television.
At dawn on Wednesday, the United States launched attacks on the cities of Serik and Bandar Abbas, located near the Strait of Hormuz, as well as the cities of Mahshahr, Bandar al-Imam and Hamidiyeh in Khuzestan province.
The US Central Command (CENTCOM) announced that more than 80 military targets had been targeted, in response to Iranian attacks targeting commercial ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz.
In response, Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) announced that it had targeted 85 "U.S. military" facilities in Bahrain and Kuwait using missiles and drones, in response to the nighttime U.S. attacks on the south of the country.
-1783568754799-374665ff2a0eb8.jpg)
Comments (0)