Politics

Muscat talks about imposing fees for "maritime services" in Hormuz

30 June 20265 min read

Muscat talks about imposing fees for "maritime services" in Hormuz
Iranian-American technical teams to Doha and their meeting is uncertain

While US President Donald Trump announced upcoming negotiations between the two sides today, Iran denied this, confirming that a technical delegation will head to Qatar for talks on the release of frozen assets.

The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman said that an Iranian technical delegation will visit Doha this week to follow up on the release of Iranian assets, adding that there are no negotiation meetings with the American side at any level in the coming days, and that the travel of senior American representatives to Qatar has nothing to do with the visit of the Iranian delegation, which the spokesman said aims to follow up on the implementation of the terms of the memorandum of understanding, including item 11.

 

Trump: Doha meeting with Iran could be important

Trump said the meeting scheduled for Tuesday in the Qatari capital Doha between the United States and Iran on the memorandum of understanding "may or may not be important."

Speaking to reporters at the signing ceremony of a presidential decree at the White House on Monday, Trump added: "The Doha meeting may or may not be important, we will see that."

Earlier on Monday, the American website "Axios" reported, quoting an unnamed senior US official, that the United States and Iran plan to hold a meeting in Qatar on Tuesday, with the aim of resolving differences related to the Strait of Hormuz, following reaching an agreement to stop mutual attacks.

 

White House: Whitkoff and Kushner to Doha

US President Donald Trump's special envoys Steve Whitkoff and Jared Kushner will participate in a meeting scheduled for Tuesday in the Qatari capital Doha to discuss the memorandum of understanding between the United States and Iran, the White House announced.

White House spokeswoman Carolyn Levitt told Fox News that Whitkoff and Kushner will travel to Doha to participate in upcoming talks on the memo.

She added that the United States is committed to its commitments under the ceasefire agreement, but will "respond in kind to any acts of violence" in the event of attacks, stressing that President Trump is keen to make the peace process a success, and that his administration continues to advance the negotiation process despite recent security challenges in the region.

The United States, under the direction of President Trump, responded to the attacks on commercial vessels, expressing hope that such attacks would not be repeated.

 

Oman: We do not rule out charging "marine services"

Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi said his country "does not support imposing fees" on the passage of ships in the Strait of Hormuz, but did not rule out "discussing mechanisms related to maritime services, including enhancing the safety of navigation, preparing for emergency incidents and combating pollution," similar to models applied in the Straits of Malacca and Singapore.

This came in statements made by Al-Busaidi to the international radio "Monte Carlo", in which he responded to the possibility of imposing fees on the use of the strait, saying that "Oman does not support the imposition of any fees on the crossing of Hormuz."

He explained that the Sultanate "calls for calm and de-escalation, and supports the implementation of the terms of the memorandum of understanding signed between Washington and Tehran," stressing that his country "continues its contacts and endeavors to achieve peace and ensure freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz."

He said his country was "keen to ensure that navigation in the Strait of Hormuz remains safe, safe and free for all," and that "any future understandings with Iran will be in line with the rules of international law."

He reiterated that the Sultanate of Oman is "committed to the Convention on the Law of the Sea, and that any new arrangements in the strait must not deviate from the framework of international legitimacy."

 

Omani-Iranian Committee for the Administration of Hormuz

On June 23, the Sultanate of Oman and Iran agreed to form a joint working group to continue dialogue with the aim of reaching an agreement on the future management of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz and related services.

  The two States  spoke of holding  consultations with littoral States in the region and other relevant parties on this issue, while reaffirming their obligation,  as the littoral States, to ensure safe passage through the Strait in accordance with the provisions of international law, while emphasizing their sovereignty and sovereign rights over their territorial waters.

The Strait of Hormuz is gaining increasing importance in global trade, as it passes through about one-fifth of the world's oil consumption, and is one of the most important sea lanes for the transport of energy and goods between the Gulf and international markets.

Oman and Iran oversee both sides of the strait that connects the Arabian Gulf to the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea, while the safety of navigation has been a focus of regional and international attention in recent years due to security tensions in the region.

Comments (0)

0 / 600
No comments yet. Be the first to comment.