Local

The Syrian Interior Ministry announces the arrest of the "Damascus bombings" cell

10 July 20265 min read

The Syrian Interior Ministry announces the arrest of the "Damascus bombings" cell
Evidence of links to the Islamic State

The Ministry of Interior announced the arrest of all members of the cell responsible for the recent bombings in the capital Damascus after a series of simultaneous raids in Damascus and its countryside, while the results of the initial security investigations indicated that the cell's members were linked to ISIS.

According to what the Syrian Ministry of Interior published on its official accounts, the General Intelligence Service participated in coordinating the security operation, which included the cell's positions in the areas of Al-Qataifa, Sayyida Zainab, the suburb of Qudsiya, and Ish al-Warur.

Interior Minister Anas Khattab announced on his account on the "X" platform that all the members of the cell responsible for the terrorist bombings are now in the hands of the security services.

 

Dalatis: The cell is linked to ISIS

Later, Brig. Gen. Ahmed al-Dalati, commander of internal security in the Damascus countryside, announced that preliminary investigations of the cell's operatives showed that it belonged to ISIS.

"Preliminary investigations with the members of the cell involved in the Damascus bombings... showed its affiliation with ISIS," referring to ISIS.

The Ministry of Interior confirmed the continuation of investigations with the arrested persons to reveal the full details of the terrorist plot and the cell's connections, in preparation for presenting their identities and roles to the public.

Coinciding with the visit of French President Emmanuel Macron last Tuesday morning, Damascus witnessed the explosion of two improvised explosive devices near the Ministry of Tourism, which resulted in the death of one person and the injury of 36, in a final toll announced by the Ministry of Health.

 

The Ministry of Interior announces the arrest of the "Wali of Lebanon and Palestine" in the "Islamic State" organization

The Interior Ministry had earlier announced the dismantling of cells affiliated with the "Islamic State" organization and the arrest of a leader of the organization in the southern region.

In a statement published on its official IDs on Thursday, July 9, the ministry said that its specialized units, in cooperation with the General Intelligence Service, arrested the leader of the "Islamic State" organization, Firas al-Dagher, and a number of those responsible for assassinations and financing, during a series of security operations that resulted in the dismantling of several cells affiliated with the organization in the southern region.

The ministry did not specify the location of the arrest, but only said that it took place in the southern region, which includes the provinces of Damascus, Daraa, Quneitra and Suwayda.

The ministry said that investigations showed that al-Dagher progressed in leadership positions within the organization, including the so-called "Jidour sector" and the "western region", leading to his assignment as the so-called "governor of Lebanon and Palestine", in addition to his work as a personal escort for the organization's caliph.

According to the ministry, the investigations revealed the involvement of the cells in assassinations and looting operations targeting a number of goldsmiths in Daraa province, and the discharge of stolen gold to secure funding for the organization's activities, and the detainees also confessed to the assassination of two members of the Ministry of Interior, and the execution of an assassination attempt inside a barbershop that resulted in the death of a civilian, in addition to monitoring a person and his wife before liquidating them.

The Ministry confirmed the organization of legal seizures against the arrested persons and referred them to the competent judiciary to complete the legal procedures.

Comments (0)

0 / 600
No comments yet. Be the first to comment.